Tuesday, March 5, 2024
More

    Latest Posts

    SERAP sues Tinubu over alleged missing $3.4bn IMF loan

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has filed a lawsuit against President Bola Tinubu over “the failure to probe the grim allegations that $3.4 billion...

    Katsina police place N50m bounty on two bandit kingpins

    The Katsina State Police Command on Saturday night placed a fifty million naira bounty on two wanted alleged bandits kingpins. The police identified the duos...

    Timeline of Mr Ibu’s blood clot illness that cost him his leg and life

    Nollywood actor, John 'Mr Ibu' Okafor, has died after a protracted illness that put him in the public spotlight in the final months of...

    Govt begins prosecution of INEC officials, others for electoral fraud

    The Federal Government through the Nigerian Bar Association has commenced the prosecution of some staff members of the Independent National Electoral Commission and political...

    Fed Govt blames Twitter, Dorsey for #EndSARS losses

    Federal Government’s war against Twitter continued on Tuesday with an accusation that the United States (US) micro-blogging platform and its founder, Jack Dorsey, were “vicariously liable” for the losses Nigeria suffered during the #EndSARS protests in October last year.

    It also accused Twitter of refusing its request to block the account of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Nnamdi Kanu.

    To those unhappy with the indefinite suspension of Twitter’s operations in Nigeria, the government said it had no apology to offer.

    Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed stated this when he featured on “Politics Nationwide,’’ a Radio Nigeria call-in programme.

    Mohammed said government’s tough stance against Twitter was because Nigeria must exist in peace before people could exercise freedom of speech and fight for a source of livelihood.

    He lamented that during the #EndSARS protests, 98 people, including 41 security operatives, lost their lives and properties worth billions of naira destroyed.

    The minister alleged that Dorsey raised funds through Bitcoins to sponsor the #EndSARS protests while Twitter was used to fuel the crisis.

    Mohammed stated that when he first made the allegations, Nigerians did not take him seriously until an online media outfit carried out an investigation and fact-checking..

    The minister said the online publication confirmed that Dorsey retweeted some of the posts by some of the coalitions that supported the #EndSARS protests.

    He added that it was confirmed that the Twitter founder launched a fundraising asking people to donate via Bitcoins.

    The minister said Dorsey further launched Emoji to make the #EndSARS protests visible on the microblogging site.

    He said Dorsey also retweeted the tweets of some foreign and local supporters of the #EndSARS.protests.

    His words: “If you ask people to donate money via Bitcoins for #EndSARS protesters, then you are vicariously liable for whatever is the outcome of the protest.

    “We have forgotten that #EndSARS protested led to the loss of lives, including 37 policemen, six soldiers, 57 civilians while property worth billions of naira were destroyed.

    “One hundred and sixty-four police vehicles and 134 police stations were razed to the ground, 265 private corporate organisations were looted while 243 public property were looted.

    “Eighty-one warehouses were looted while over 200 brand new buses bought by Lagos State Government were burnt to ashes.’’

    The minister restated that it was unfair to conclude that Twitter was suspended indefinitely because it deleted President Muhammadu Buhari’s message.

    He said the government was unambiguous that the action was taken because the platform was being used to promote the views of those determined to destabilise Nigeria.

    Mohammed added that Twitter consistently offered its platform to promote agenda that were inimical to the corporate existence of the country.

    Mohammed added: “Twitter has become a platform of choice for a particular separatist promoter.

    Latest Posts

    SERAP sues Tinubu over alleged missing $3.4bn IMF loan

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has filed a lawsuit against President Bola Tinubu over “the failure to probe the grim allegations that $3.4 billion...

    Katsina police place N50m bounty on two bandit kingpins

    The Katsina State Police Command on Saturday night placed a fifty million naira bounty on two wanted alleged bandits kingpins. The police identified the duos...

    Timeline of Mr Ibu’s blood clot illness that cost him his leg and life

    Nollywood actor, John 'Mr Ibu' Okafor, has died after a protracted illness that put him in the public spotlight in the final months of...

    Govt begins prosecution of INEC officials, others for electoral fraud

    The Federal Government through the Nigerian Bar Association has commenced the prosecution of some staff members of the Independent National Electoral Commission and political...

    Don't Miss

    Improve emergency management, Reps urge NEMA, FRSC

    The House of Representatives has charged the National Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Roads Safety Commission, the Federal Fire Service and other response agencies...

    EFCC arrests ‘pilot’ for N1bn fraud in Kaduna

    Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Kaduna State Zonal Command, have arrested one Nuhu Haruna for an alleged fraudulent transaction to the...

    I am challenging the perception of what African music can be – Burna Boy

    Described by the Recording Academy as the biggest music star out of Africa, Burna Boy has made a name for himself as one of...

    These celebs disagree with Eedris Abdulkareem’s claims on Honest Bunch pod

    Nigerian singer Eedris Abdulkareem recently had a bombshell interview with The Honest Bunch Podcast where he aired his views on some musical and personal...

    Cost of living protest: Police warn against violence as Labour gives fresh conditions

    The police authorities have said they would not condone any form of violence during the planned two-day demonstration declared by organised Labour in protest...

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.