Thursday, October 21, 2021
More

    Latest Posts

    EndSARS: One year after, no evidence of killing at Lekki tollgate -FG

    The Federal Government has claimed that one year after the shooting at Lekki tollgate by soldiers, there is no evidence to show...

    EndSARSMemorial: FG slams CNN, Amnesty on Lekki tollgate stance

    The Federal Government has slammed CNN and global human rights group, Amnesty International, saying they “have continued to shamelessly hold on to...

    Filmmaker releases Abdul to mark #EndSARS first anniversary

    A Nigerian filmmaker Samuel Adeoye has released the trailer of his new short film entitled, Abdul, in commemoration of the one-year remembrance...

    EndSARS: ‘We were shot, SARS still working’, Lagos protesters insist

    There was a large turnout of protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Wednesday leading to gridlock in the area.

    Terrorists fleeing Zamfara bombings take over Kaduna villages, hoist flag

    Bandits fleeing military onslaughts in Zamfara State have invaded communities in the Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

    A source told one of our correspondents on Friday that the terrorists had been operating in the Kuduru camp for a while before being flushed out by the military in the ongoing air strikes in Zamfara.

    Birnin Gwari, known for its notoriety in banditry, kidnapping, armed robbery and other related crimes, is a gateway from the North to the southern part of the country.

    The source expressed worry that the fleeing dreaded Ansaru terrorists had started settling down in Saulawa and Damari communities in Birnin Gwari LG and were hoisting their flag.

    The Ansaru terrorists had claimed responsibility for an attack on the Emir of Potiskum, Alhaji Umar Bubaram, along Maraban Jos, on the Zaria-Kaduna Highway in January, 2020.

    The Nigeria Police Force had also claimed to have neutralised 250 members of the sect in an operation carried on the terrorists Kuduru camp in Birnin Gwari LGA.

    The source said, “Hundreds of these bandits have invaded the communities in recent times, apparently following the heat from military onslaughts in Zamfara.

    “They hoisted flags in the two communities. They have not been hostile to the residents but you can’t say when they will strike. Residents are relocating quietly such as Zaria and other neighbouring communities in Giwa,” he said.

    When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer in Kaduna, ASP Mohammed Jalige, declined comment on the matter.

    “I will talk you much later or tomorrow so that we discuss extensively on it,” he said.

    Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Government said on Friday that some bandits in separate attacks invaded two communities in the Giwa Local Government Area of the state, killing two persons.

    The state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, who stated this on Friday, said the bandits first attacked Rugan Mati, a Fulani settlement and shot one Shuaibu Mati to death.

    They were said to have thereafter stormed another settlement known as Tudun Amada Wazata in Kadage in the same council, where they killed one Samaila Mai Yankan Katako in his house.

    The commissioner quoted Governor Nasir El-Rufai as expressing sadness over the latest attacks.

    Aruwan said, “Security agencies have reported to the Kaduna State Government that two people were killed in separate attacks by armed bandits in Giwa LGA.”

    The commissioner also quoted El-Rufai as “commiserating with communities across Igabi, Chikun, Giwa, Birnin Gwari and Sanga LGAs, in which many residents were reported to have lost their lives following attacks by bandits.”

    He said, “Precise situation reports are still being compiled on these incidences.”

    But the Students Christian Movement of Nigeria has appealed to the Federal Government to brace up and put an end to the killings of innocent citizens across the country by criminal elements.

    The youth outreach ministry condemned the widespread violence and killings, noting that most of the victims are youths.

    It’s National President, Mrs Ebere Ubezie, made the call while answering questions from journalists on the sidelines of the SCMN’s 19th biennial conference and executive reception held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

    She said, “We are asking the government to listen to all the agitations across the nation. It is not the best to just keep quiet and pretend that nothing is happening.

    “Meanwhile people are being killed on a daily basis and many of them, youths. If we kill our future, what are we going to use for our future?”

    Copyright PUNCH

    Latest Posts

    EndSARS: One year after, no evidence of killing at Lekki tollgate -FG

    The Federal Government has claimed that one year after the shooting at Lekki tollgate by soldiers, there is no evidence to show...

    EndSARSMemorial: FG slams CNN, Amnesty on Lekki tollgate stance

    The Federal Government has slammed CNN and global human rights group, Amnesty International, saying they “have continued to shamelessly hold on to...

    Filmmaker releases Abdul to mark #EndSARS first anniversary

    A Nigerian filmmaker Samuel Adeoye has released the trailer of his new short film entitled, Abdul, in commemoration of the one-year remembrance...

    EndSARS: ‘We were shot, SARS still working’, Lagos protesters insist

    There was a large turnout of protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Wednesday leading to gridlock in the area.

    Don't Miss

    Ifeanyi Ubah wants Nnamdi Kanu’s arrest, detention revisited

    The lawmaker representing Anambra South Senatorial District, Ifeanyi Ubah, has called on the Federal Government to revisit the issue of the arrest...

    Ayu’s emergence as chair: North gets PDP’s nod to contest 2023 Presidency

    The Peoples Democratic Party has given the North the option of producing its presidential candidate in 2023 despite the emergence of a...

    Don’t let police disrupt #EndSARS protests, Falana tells Buhari

    Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to abide by his oath...

    Anambra election: Police deploy three helicopters, 34,587 personnel

    The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has disclosed that 34,587 operatives, including special forces, would be deployed in Anambra State for the...

    Anambra poll: Supreme Court affirms Soludo as APGA’s gov candidate

    The Supreme Court has affirmed Professor Charles Soludo as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in the Anambra election...

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.