Tuesday, March 5, 2024
More

    Latest Posts

    SERAP sues Tinubu over alleged missing $3.4bn IMF loan

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has filed a lawsuit against President Bola Tinubu over “the failure to probe the grim allegations that $3.4 billion...

    Katsina police place N50m bounty on two bandit kingpins

    The Katsina State Police Command on Saturday night placed a fifty million naira bounty on two wanted alleged bandits kingpins. The police identified the duos...

    Timeline of Mr Ibu’s blood clot illness that cost him his leg and life

    Nollywood actor, John 'Mr Ibu' Okafor, has died after a protracted illness that put him in the public spotlight in the final months of...

    Govt begins prosecution of INEC officials, others for electoral fraud

    The Federal Government through the Nigerian Bar Association has commenced the prosecution of some staff members of the Independent National Electoral Commission and political...

    FG begins payment of resident doctors’ training fund

    Executive members of the striking Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors are currently divided over their ongoing industrial action, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

    This is as a source at the Federal Ministry of Finance disclosed to our correspondent that the Federal Government began the payment of the Medical Residency Training Fund on Friday.

    Payment of the Medical Residency Training Fund was one of the demands of the striking doctors from the Federal Government, as a condition to call of their month-long strike.

    The PUNCH had reported that NARD at the end of its Annual General Meeting, which it held at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in Bauchi, gave the Federal Government fresh ultimatums.

    Among other things, the resident doctors demanded “payment of the Medical Residency Training within 72 hours since the money meant for it is available and verification of the list for payment has been completed.”

    They also demanded “payment of the arrears of salaries of our members on GIFMIS platform within 72 hours while the migration process continues.”

    However, 72 hours after the ultimatum was issued, the Federal Government failed to meet the demands, while the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said the government was unaware of the ultimatum.

    Meanwhile, there are indications of cracks within the ranks of the striking doctors.

    It was learn that new executives of NARD, alongside the Nigerian Medical Association, held a meeting with Ngige, which partly centered on indictment of former NARD executives.

    Sources, who spoke with our correspondent, said the development did not seat well with NARD members loyal to the former executives.

    Our correspondent learnt that since the commencement of the payment of the MRTF on Friday, government had been mounting pressure on the new NARD President to call off the protracted strike.

    A top NARD executive, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said, “They (government) are already pleading that the strike should be called off because other demands are being attended to.

    “This is causing a rift among the executives because you know the president is soft-spoken and it seems as if he wants to call off the strike, even though he can’t do it on his own without the consent of the NEC.”

    When contacted, the New President of NARD, Dr Dare Ishaya, confirmed to our correspondent that the government had indeed begun the payment of the MRTF.

    He said, “Yes, they have started paying the Medical Residency Training Fund. They have paid 20 centres. They are paying in batches. Some people from those centres have started to receive alerts.’’

    “We have about 54 centres that are supposed to benefit. The remaining 34 have not seen anything yet.

    “Just like we discussed with the Minister of Labour, our discussion and agreement are that when we start getting alerts, we will call a meeting with a view to suspending the strike.

    “We will keep our own side of the bargain but it is still the decision of the NEC. This was part of the minimum requirements that the NEC laid down.”

    Copyright PUNCH

    Latest Posts

    SERAP sues Tinubu over alleged missing $3.4bn IMF loan

    Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has filed a lawsuit against President Bola Tinubu over “the failure to probe the grim allegations that $3.4 billion...

    Katsina police place N50m bounty on two bandit kingpins

    The Katsina State Police Command on Saturday night placed a fifty million naira bounty on two wanted alleged bandits kingpins. The police identified the duos...

    Timeline of Mr Ibu’s blood clot illness that cost him his leg and life

    Nollywood actor, John 'Mr Ibu' Okafor, has died after a protracted illness that put him in the public spotlight in the final months of...

    Govt begins prosecution of INEC officials, others for electoral fraud

    The Federal Government through the Nigerian Bar Association has commenced the prosecution of some staff members of the Independent National Electoral Commission and political...

    Don't Miss

    Improve emergency management, Reps urge NEMA, FRSC

    The House of Representatives has charged the National Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Roads Safety Commission, the Federal Fire Service and other response agencies...

    EFCC arrests ‘pilot’ for N1bn fraud in Kaduna

    Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Kaduna State Zonal Command, have arrested one Nuhu Haruna for an alleged fraudulent transaction to the...

    I am challenging the perception of what African music can be – Burna Boy

    Described by the Recording Academy as the biggest music star out of Africa, Burna Boy has made a name for himself as one of...

    These celebs disagree with Eedris Abdulkareem’s claims on Honest Bunch pod

    Nigerian singer Eedris Abdulkareem recently had a bombshell interview with The Honest Bunch Podcast where he aired his views on some musical and personal...

    Cost of living protest: Police warn against violence as Labour gives fresh conditions

    The police authorities have said they would not condone any form of violence during the planned two-day demonstration declared by organised Labour in protest...

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.