Wednesday, October 20, 2021
More

    Latest Posts

    EndSARS: One year after, no evidence of killing at Lekki tollgate -FG

    The Federal Government has claimed that one year after the shooting at Lekki tollgate by soldiers, there is no evidence to show...

    EndSARSMemorial: FG slams CNN, Amnesty on Lekki tollgate stance

    The Federal Government has slammed CNN and global human rights group, Amnesty International, saying they “have continued to shamelessly hold on to...

    Filmmaker releases Abdul to mark #EndSARS first anniversary

    A Nigerian filmmaker Samuel Adeoye has released the trailer of his new short film entitled, Abdul, in commemoration of the one-year remembrance...

    EndSARS: ‘We were shot, SARS still working’, Lagos protesters insist

    There was a large turnout of protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Wednesday leading to gridlock in the area.

    Disney settles dispute with Scarlett Johansson over Black Widow

    American actress Scarlett Johansson and Disney studios have reached a settlement over lawsuit instituted by the star as regards her compensation for movie, Black Widow.

    The super hero movie in which Johansson starred as the main character, was originally due for release in theatres last year, but was delayed multiple times due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    The film was finally released in theatres and Disney+ simultaneously in July.

    The original agreement, according to the star was that the movie would be exclusively released in cinemas, and she would be entitled to a percentage of the ticket sales.

    However, like many streaming services, Disney had released some of its movies on Disney+ during the COVID-19 pandemic to enable viewers watch at home, rather than in cinemas.

    One of the highest paid stars in Hollywood, Johansson filed a lawsuit at Los Angeles superior court in July alleging breach of contract on the part of the company.

    According to her, the Disney+ release had cost her millions of dollars in box office sales.

    In what resulted to a back and forth, a company spokesperson in a statement to AFP said the filing had no merit and was “sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.”

    The statement also claimed that the company fully complied with the contract and that the Disney+ streaming release “has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

    Johansson’s lawyer had fired back saying the company had tried to weaponise her success while refusing to keep to terms of their agreement.

    In August, Disney filed a motion to move the lawsuit to binding arbitration, a confidential process where both parties can reach an agreement.

    According to a statement sent to AFP on Thursday, the mother of one said both parties had found a middle ground in the suit.

    “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come,” she said.

    Similarly, Chairman of Disney Studios Content, Alan Bergman said he was pleased with the mutual agreement reached with both parties and looked forward to working with the star in the future.

    “We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror,” the statement read.

    Latest Posts

    EndSARS: One year after, no evidence of killing at Lekki tollgate -FG

    The Federal Government has claimed that one year after the shooting at Lekki tollgate by soldiers, there is no evidence to show...

    EndSARSMemorial: FG slams CNN, Amnesty on Lekki tollgate stance

    The Federal Government has slammed CNN and global human rights group, Amnesty International, saying they “have continued to shamelessly hold on to...

    Filmmaker releases Abdul to mark #EndSARS first anniversary

    A Nigerian filmmaker Samuel Adeoye has released the trailer of his new short film entitled, Abdul, in commemoration of the one-year remembrance...

    EndSARS: ‘We were shot, SARS still working’, Lagos protesters insist

    There was a large turnout of protesters at the Lekki tollgate on Wednesday leading to gridlock in the area.

    Don't Miss

    Ifeanyi Ubah wants Nnamdi Kanu’s arrest, detention revisited

    The lawmaker representing Anambra South Senatorial District, Ifeanyi Ubah, has called on the Federal Government to revisit the issue of the arrest...

    Ayu’s emergence as chair: North gets PDP’s nod to contest 2023 Presidency

    The Peoples Democratic Party has given the North the option of producing its presidential candidate in 2023 despite the emergence of a...

    Don’t let police disrupt #EndSARS protests, Falana tells Buhari

    Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to abide by his oath...

    Anambra election: Police deploy three helicopters, 34,587 personnel

    The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has disclosed that 34,587 operatives, including special forces, would be deployed in Anambra State for the...

    Anambra poll: Supreme Court affirms Soludo as APGA’s gov candidate

    The Supreme Court has affirmed Professor Charles Soludo as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in the Anambra election...

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.