The Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Babafemi Hamzat, has said the building which collapsed in the Ikoyi area of the state on Monday had been sealed for four months.
Hamzat who paid a visit to the scene of the incident on Tuesday said it was shut down from July to November.
He also stated that two more survivors have been rescued while the remains of 10 people have recovered from the rubble of the collapsed building.
He said the two survivors who were rescued and currently being treated at a hospital gave conflicting figures concerning the people who were inside the building before the collapse.
Ikoyi building collapse: Red Cross calls for speedy response from rescue authorities
IGP to visit scene of Ikoyi building collapse
Ikoyi building collapse: FG sympathises with Lagos, mobilises rescue operations
Why we withdrew further services —Construction company
The PUNCH reported yesterday that Prowess Engineering Limited, the company that began the construction of the building withdrew from the project in February 2020.
The company withdrew its services on grounds that it no longer shared the same vision with its client believed to be Fourscore Heights Limited as addressed in a letter sighted by The PUNCH and confirmed by the Managing Director, Muritala Olawale.
Prowess Engineering Limited, which had constructed two other buildings for its client, said it couldn’t guarantee the integrity of the third (collapsed building) from anything above the fourth floor.