Saturday, January 22, 2022
More

    Latest Posts

    Wizkid says that he wants to see Burna Boy and Davido win

    On January 22, 2022, Grammy-winning Nigerian superstar, Wizkid, was captured in a video saying that he wants to see everybody win. He...

    My govt will crush terrorists, Buhari reassures Kaduna residents

    The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Friday, has reassured residents of Kaduna of his regime’s determination to crush terrorists and...

    Wizkid, Davido inspire each other to ‘go harder’, says singer CDQ

    Nigerian singer, Yusuf Sodiq, popularly known as CDQ, has expressed joy over the viral video that showed Wizkid and Davido hugging each...

    Actress Regina King’s son dies by suicide

    American actress Regina King's only son Ian Alexander Jr. has died by suicide. In a statement released by the...

    Hijab: Kwara govt deploys task force as churches shut Christian schools

    The Kwara State Government, on Friday, deployed a task force to implement its directive to all schools in the state to reopen and all teachers to resume, despite the ongoing crisis over wearing of hijab in Christian mission schools.

    The government had ordered the reopening of the schools on Wednesday as Christian missions insisted that they would not allow the use of hijab by Muslim female students in their schools.

    The state Teaching Service Commission, on Thursday, had directed teachers of the affected schools to report to their respective schools on Friday (yesterday).

    Saturday PUNCH reports that the teachers arrived promptly at their respective schools but were locked out by some churches, which insisted that they would not allow students or teachers to resume unless the state government rescinded its decision on wearing of hijab in Christian mission schools.

    But the Press Secretary in the state Ministry of Education and Human Capital Development, Yakub Ali-Agan, in a statement on Friday, said all the 10 schools involved in the hijab controversy had been fully opened, hours after the state government directed all the principals and teachers in the affected schools to resume for academic activities.

    The statement read, “The schools were opened by a government task force which moved round the metropolis to ensure that the directive is followed and that teachers and students are protected and allowed to begin academic activities.

    “At Cherubim and Seraphim College, Sabo Oke, Ilorin, some church leaders locked and barricaded the entrance to the college until government officials escorted by security officials opened the school gate. At Baptist LGEA primary and secondary schools, Surulere, Ilorin, everything went on peacefully with teachers and students seen in their classrooms.

    “The government task force, led by officials from the Ministry of Education and Human Capital Development and the Teaching Service Commission, reassured members of the public, especially parents and teachers, that the unfortunate incident of Wednesday had been put behind the state and that the schools are safe for schoolchildren to resume learning in earnest.”

    According to Ali-Agan, the task force said the government would continue to engage all stakeholders to remain law-abiding and peaceful.

    The affected mission schools closed by the government were said to include C&S College, Sabo Oke; St. Anthony College, Offa Road; ECWA School, Oja Iya; Surulere Baptist Secondary School; and Bishop Smith Secondary School, Agba Dam.

    Others were CAC Secondary School, Asa Dam; St. Barnabas Secondary School, Sabo Oke; St. John School Maraba; St. Williams Secondary School, Taiwo Isale; and St. James Secondary School, Maraba, all in Ilorin, the state capital.

    When our correspondent visited some of the schools on Friday morning, Christian faithful were seen gathering in front of Cherubim and Seraphim College, Sabo-Oke area in their Church regalia singing and dancing.

    A lorry load of sand was also seen in front of the gate to prevent both teachers and pupils from gaining entrance.

    Although the teachers turned up at St. Anthony School, as directed by the government, they were seen gathered in groups discussing the situation outside the school fence as the gate was locked.

    Staff of Kwara TESCOM, who monitored compliance of its directive to teachers to resume duty, later invited security operatives who forced open the gates of both schools.

    Teachers in St. Anthony Secondary School later entered the school to register their presence, while the students were seen taking tutorial classes, but the gate of C&S College could not be opened because of the heap of sand at the gate.

    Similarly, teachers at Bishop Smith Memorial College, Agba Dam Road were engaged in discussion outside the gate of the school.

    Copyright PUNCH.

    Latest Posts

    Wizkid says that he wants to see Burna Boy and Davido win

    On January 22, 2022, Grammy-winning Nigerian superstar, Wizkid, was captured in a video saying that he wants to see everybody win. He...

    My govt will crush terrorists, Buhari reassures Kaduna residents

    The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Friday, has reassured residents of Kaduna of his regime’s determination to crush terrorists and...

    Wizkid, Davido inspire each other to ‘go harder’, says singer CDQ

    Nigerian singer, Yusuf Sodiq, popularly known as CDQ, has expressed joy over the viral video that showed Wizkid and Davido hugging each...

    Actress Regina King’s son dies by suicide

    American actress Regina King's only son Ian Alexander Jr. has died by suicide. In a statement released by the...

    Don't Miss

    Court adjourns Nnamdi Kanu’s trial till Wednesday

    A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Tuesday, adjourned further proceedings in the case against the detained leader of the Indigenous...

    Actor Uti Nwachukwu laments chemical usage in bottled water

    Nollywood actor, Uti Nwachukwu, on Tuesday lamented the use of chemicals in bottled water as he narrated his ordeal after ingesting bottles...

    Troops dislodge IPOB, ESN stronghold in Anambra forest

    The Nigerian Army has said troops, in conjunction with other security agencies, have dislodged a notorious stronghold of the proscribed Indigenous People...

    You’ve never been intimidated by me —Toyin Abraham to husband, Kolawole Ajeyemi

    Nollywood actress, Toyin Abraham, has praised her husband and fellow actor, Kolawole Ajeyemi, saying he has never been intimidated by anything about...

    I’m ‘somehow’ related to Tinubu, says female presidential candidate, Khadija Okunnu-Lamidi

    Female presidential candidate, Khadija Okunnu-Lamidi, has said despite the respect she has for the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress,...

    Stay in touch

    To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.